Welcome to My Site
If this is your first visit, welcome! This site is devoted to my life experiences as a Filipino-American who immigrated from the Philippines to the United States in 1960. I came to the US as a graduate student when I was 26 years old. I am now in my early-80's and thanks God for his blessings, I have four successful and professional children and six grandchildren here in the US. My wife and I had been enjoying the snow bird lifestyle between US and Philippines after my retirement from USFDA in 2002. Please do not forget to read the latest national and International News in this site . I have also posted some of my favorite Filipino and American dishes and recipes in this site. Some of the photos and videos in this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringing on your copyrights. Cheers!
Monday, July 30, 2012
Popular vs Electoral Votes-Are You Voting for Romney?
Election fever seemed to be affecting the US this past month. Both sides have been campaigning on what forecasters call the deciding states. To the Philippine voters, there is no such thing as the deciding states( provinces). Election of the President and other Officials are decided by popular votes.
However here in the US, the presidential candidate do not have to get the highest (popular)votes. A candidate will be President of the US if he gets 270 electoral votes. Each state has a designated number of electoral votes depending on its population. California, Texas, New York, Illinois and Pennsylvania are assigned a large number of electoral votes. A presidential candidate can be elected if he wins in the above most populous states even if he lost in the other smaller states.
Speaking of election campaigning, I received a chain e-mail from a friend in the Philippines of why Romney is not likeable. I called her why is she campaigning in the US Election, when she can not vote since she is not a US citizen. She told me she received the e-mail from her relatives in US ( voters) and she is just forwarding the E-mail to all her FaceBook friends. I am printing this E-mail because I find it very interesting even if I am not a Republican. I love to hear of your comments.
A lot is being said in the media about Mitt Romney not being "likable" or that he doesn't "relate well" to people. Frankly, we struggled to understand why. So after much research, we have come up with a Top Ten List to explain this "unlikablility."
Top Ten Reasons To Dislike Mitt Romney:
1. Drop-dead, collar-ad handsome with gracious, statesmanlike aura. Looks like every central casting's #1 choice for Commander-in-Chief.
2. Been married to ONE woman his entire life, and has been faithful to her, including through her bouts with breast cancer and MS.
3. No scandals or skeletons in his closet. (How boring is that?)
4. Can't speak in a fake, southern, "black preacher voice" when necessary.
5. Highly intelligent. Graduated cum laude from both Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School...and by the way, his academic records are NOT sealed.
6. Doesn't smoke or drink alcohol, and has never done drugs, not even in the counter-culture age when he went to college. Too square for today's America?
7. Represents an America of "yesterday", where people believed in God, went to Church, didn't screw around, worked hard, and became a SUCCESS!
8. Has a family of five great sons....and none of them have police records or are in drug rehab. But of course, they were raised by a stay-at-home mom, and that "choice" deserves America's scorn.
9. Oh yes.....he's a MORMON. We need to be very afraid of that very strange religion that teaches its members to be clean-living, patriotic, fiscally conservative, charitable, self-reliant, and honest.
10. And one more point.....pundits say because of his wealth, he can't relate to ordinary Americans. I guess that's because he made that money HIMSELF.....as opposed to marrying it or inheriting it from Dad. Apparently, he didn't understand that actually working at a job and earning your own money made you unrelatable to Americans.
My goodness, it's a strange world, isn't it? What do you think?
With regards to Romney'd running mate (VP), four names are in the front lines today: B. Portman. T.Pawlenty, B.Jindal and C. Rice. If Bobby Jindall gets selected he will be the First American with Indian ancestry to run for VP. I hope he gets it.